Pinjarra War MemorialPrint Page Print this page

The Pinjarra War Memorial commemorates Australian servicemen and women who have served in all wars and conflicts. The memorial was originally erected to commemorate the fallen of World War One.

The memorial is a rock face granite Celtic cross on an octagonal dressed granite base (approx 7m high overall). The recessed panels in the base are inscribed with the names of the men from the district who died in World War One. The memorial is surrounded by pillars on which are placed plaques that represent other wars and conflicts. The memorial was originally erected in the small memorial park alongside the traffic bridge at the eastern entrance to the town, but now stands in the grounds of the Shire of Murray Memorial Civic Centre, where it was relocated in 1966.

The Memorial was unveiled by the Governor of Western Australia, Sir Francis Newdegate on the 18th July 1923 in front of a large gathering. The choice of the Celtic Cross was pleasing as it is symbolic of strength, simplicity and ruggedness which were all seen as attributes of the Australian soldier.
The West Australian (Perth), 19th July 1923.


Address:Pinjarra Road, Outside Murray Shire Offices, Pinjarra, 6208
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.628041
Long: 115.871546
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Monument Designer:Eales & Cohen (Subiaco)
Monument Manufacturer:Messrs Baker & Matthews


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 18th July, 1923
Front Inscription

(Names)  Erected In Honour Of Our Soldiers Who Fell In The Great War 1914 - 1918 (Names)

Source: WMR, HWA, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design