North Fremantle War MemorialPrint Page
The North Fremantle War Memorial was originally erected to commemorate those who died in service or were killed in action in World War One. The names of those who died in service or were killed in action in World War Two were added at a later date.
The memorial is a statue of a soldier, facing south, standing on a stone plinth, surrounded by a cast-iron rung fence. There are three bench seats surrounding the monument. In the park, there is a wooden flagpole in the corner, and three sheoak and two oak trees.
The foundation stone for the North Fremantle Fallen Soldiers Memorial was laid by the Governor of Western Australia, Sir Francis Newdegate on the 21st January 1923. When completed the memorial would have the names of the fallen inscribed upon it.
The West Australian (Perth), 22nd January 1923.
Sir Francis Newdegate performed the unveiling ceremony on the 26th August 1923 and met relatives of the fallen at the conclusion of the service.
Sunday Times (Perth), 26th August 1923.
|Address:||Queen Victoria Street & Harvest Road, War Memorial Park , North Fremantle, 6159|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.035346|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Manufacturer:||G.C Smith & Co (Fremantle)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 26th August, 1923|
ERECTED TO THE MEMORY OF FALLEN SOLDIERS OF THE NORTH FREMANTLE DISTRICT
THE GREAT WAR
1914 - 1919
1939 - 1945
DIED FROM WAR CAUSES