Maylands War MemorialPrint Page
The Maylands War memorial was originally erected to commemorate the fallen soldiers of World War One but now commemorates those who served in subsequent wars and conflicts.
The Maylands War Memorial was unveiled in October 1921 by the Governor Sir Francis Newdegate in front of a large crowd. The obelisk bears the names of 106 men who made the supreme sacrifice and the 12 most important battles in which Australian troops took part.
The West Australian (Perth), 4th October 1921.
|Address:||Guildford Road & Eighth Avenue, Maylands Town Hall Gardens, Maylands, 6051|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.930301|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Messrs Wilson & Gray|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 2nd October, 1921|
They whom the scrolls commemorate are numbered among those who, at the call of King and country, left all that was dear to them, endured hardness, faced danger, and finally passed out of sight of men by the path of duty and self-sacrifice, giving up their lives that others may live in freedom let those who come after see to it that their names not be forgotten. Erected by the citizens of Maylands.