Lake Grace War Memorial Print Page
The Lake Grace War Memorial is a building dedicated to those who served and is on the site of the RSL memorial gardens which were dedicated by Senator Collett on the 23rd July 1938. A lemon scented gum tree at the rear is the only remaining flora from the Memorial Garden.
After World War One the land on this site was granted to the R.S.L. with three trustees; S West, S McKay and A Dewar. The land was eventually cleared and fenced, and later planted as a memorial garden which was dedicated in July 1938.
After World War Two, Lake Grace was enthusiastic about the future and by 1947, plans for the RSL Memorial Building were drawn, and a formal committee under the Presidency of Jack Coad was elected in January 1948. Initially the building was intended to include the Library, Honour Hall, Rest Room and St John Ambulance garage, for a cost of £1250. By 1951, the cost had blown out to £2000, at that time only £99 had been raised. An all out fundraising drive was launched, and an enlarged plan of the building was screened on film nights at the hall. Jack Coad and the Roads Board secretary Bill Colquhoun made a personal canvas of the district, and raised the required £2000 by September 1951. The War Memorial Library was finally opened in August 1955, by Jack Coad, the President of the Memorial Committee.
|Address:||Stubbs Street, Lake Grace, 6353|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.101021|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1954|