www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Kellerberrin War MemorialPrint Page Print this page

The Kellerberrin War Memorial is a granite obelisk which was originally erected by the returned soldiers of the district in memory of their 75 comrades who fell in the Great War. A plaque affixed to the rear of the memorial commemorates the fallen of World War Two.

Prior to the opening of the hospital General Hobbs, performed the ceremony handing over to Mr. Prowse (chairman ofthe Kellerberrin Road Boad), as representing the district, a German high-velocity field gun, captured by the 11th Battalion and given to the Western Australian Government as a war trophy. General Hobbs also unveiled a granite obelisk, which had been erected by the returned soldiers of the district to their 75 comrades who fell in the war. General Hobbs combated the contention frequently advanced that the memory of the soldiers' gallant deeds was sufficient memorial. Unfortunately, people were only too ready to forget the debt they owed these men. Many of them had forgotten already.
The West Australian (Perth), 7th July 1921

 

 

Location

Address:Moore Street, Memorial Hospital Grounds, Kellerberrin, 6410
State:WA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -31.628294
Long: 117.717842
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Multiple

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 29th June, 1921
Front Inscription

ERECTED BY KELLERBERRIN BRANCH
R.S.L.
IN MEMORY OF THEIR COMRADES
1914 WHO DIED FOR THE EMPIRE 1918
KELLERBERRIN DISTRICT
 (names)

Back Inscription

R. S. L.
KELLERBERRIN
DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF
THOSE WHO PAID THE SUPREME
SACRIFICE IN THE 1939 - 45 WAR
(names)

Source: WMR, SKP, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design