Katanning War MemorialPrint Page
Katanning War Memorial commemorates the fallen of both World Wars. The memorial is a statue of a soldier on top of a large plinth on a three-tiered base. The memorial was erected by public subscription and unveiled on Anzac Day 1921 to commemorate the fallen of World War One whose names are inscribed on a brass plaque on the memorial. The names of the fallen of World War Two were added in 1950.
A dozen designs were received for the Fallen Soldiers' Memorial at Katanning, which was thrown open to competition. The accepted design was that of a marble figure of a soldier, 6ft. high, upon a granite base, 13ft. high, the cost erected at Katanning being £750. In addition to that first cost, has to be added the bronze name plates and the carving of the inscription, and also the architect's fee for supervision. These items are expected to bring the cost to £900, of which about half has been collected.
Albany Advertiser, 29th September 1920.
On the 3rd September 1950, an additional plaque was unveiled by Mr G Bradshaw from the RSL State Executive and placed on the memorial to commemorate 31 men from the district who died in World War Two.
The West Australian (Perth), 5th September 1950.
|Address:||Carew & Cliff Streets, Prosser Park , Katanning, 6317|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.68777|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Monday 25th April, 1921|
This memorial was erected by public subscription.
Unveiled ANZAC Day April 25th 1921
by General Bessell-Brown CB, CMG, DSO, VD.