Kalgoorlie War MemorialPrint Page
Memorial is a bronze statue of a World War One soldier, sculpted by Pietro Porcelli, at the "on guard" position on a column of Bulla Bulling granite. At the base of the column are four wings with marble lions on each. The memorial was originally erected to commemorate the fallen of World War One but now commemorates the fallen of World War Two and subsequent conflicts.
The memorial was unveiled by Major -General Sir Talbot Hobbs on the 21st October 1923 in the presence of a very large gathering including returned soldiers, South African veterans and citizen soldiers and cadets. The procession of the soldiers to the monument was led by the 16th Battalion band.
The West Australian (Perth), 22nd October 1923.
|Address:||Forrest & Wilson Streets, Kalgoorlie Railway Station, Kalgoorlie, 6430|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -30.746458|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||P. C. Porcelli|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 21st October, 1923|
To Our Glorious Dead
1914 - 1918 , 1939 - 1945
( Base Plaque )
THIS MEMORIAL ERECTED BY THE CITIZENS OF KALGOORLIE WAS UNVEILED BY MAJOR GENERAL SIR TALBOT HOBBS ON 21-10-1923