Harvey War Memorial LibraryPrint Page
Harvey War Memorial Library was originally erected to commemorate the fallen of World War One. Two metal plaques mounted on either side of the entrance doors to the library are inscribed with the names of those who died in World Wars One and Two. The name "War Memorial Library" is inscribed across the main facade.
In 1920 the Harvey War Memorial Library was erected at a cost of £900, which was defrayed by local subscription. The Library was opened by Sir Francis Newdegate in 1921 after a campaign was initiated by Mr. Roy Hayward to raise a large sum of money towards its cost.
During his visit to Harvey His Excellency, the Governor, laid the foundation stone of the Soldiers' Memorial Hall. In speaking to the ceremony he referred to the gallant part that the Australian soldiers in the war and remarked on the fitting nature of such a memorial as a Public Hall, which would be a lasting and impressive memory to those who had given their lives in the great fight. The hall is a brick building of three rooms, containing a library, a reading room, and a meeting chamber. The hall committee had in hand at the time of letting the contract £740, and the tender was let at £700. Mr. P. J. Ward was the contracting builder, with J. A. Stewart and Mr. W. R. Eekersley, as supervisors.
The Bunbury Herald and Blackwood Express (WA), 25th October 1921.
|Address:||Young Street, Harvey, 6220|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.079166|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Manufacturer:||Mr. P.J. Ward|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||October-1921|
WAR MEMORIAL LIBRARY