Cranbrook War MemorialPrint Page
Cranbrook War Memorial commemorates Australian servicemen and women who have served in all wars and conflicts.
The War Memorial at Cranbrook was originally erected to the fallen soldiers of World War One. Funds were being collected as early as June 1922 for the erection of the memorial. On 30th July 1922, an avenue of honour of sugar gums was planted Frederick Square to commemorate the 18 fallen of World War One. At the time of the planting, space had been allocated for the erection of the memorial obelisk. The stone of Albany gray granite had been ordered and it was to be engraved with the names of the 18 fallen soldiers in whose honour the avenue had been planted.
Albany Advertiser,16th August 1922.
At 3 p.m., at the Memorial in Cranbrook, there was another service, again conducted by Mr. Vaughan Oborne, with Mrs. Oborne at the organ. Returned servicemen assembled at the hall, and marched to the Memorial, where an address was given by Col. C. Birt, of Tambellup, who was introduced to the gathering by Mr. S. T. Rodgers, president of the Cranbrook branch of the R.S.L. The chairman of the Road Board, Mr. L. Hordacre, unveiled a tablet, dedicated to those of the district who fell in World War II.
Albany Advertiser, 4th May 1950.
|Address:||Gathorne Street, Cranbrook, 6321|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.296231|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||circa 1922|