Collie War MemorialPrint Page
Collie War Memorial commemorates Australian servicemen and women who have served in all wars and conflicts. Originally erected to commemorate the fallen of World War One, the memorial is a tall stone cenotaph which sits upon a four-tiered base and a bronze wreath is affixed to the cenotaph with inscribed plaques on the lower part of each face. The cenotaph is located in a landscaped park with rose beds and hedging with a pathway leading from the gateway to the cenotaph.
On the 15 May 1921, the Governor Sir Francis Newdegate laid the foundation stone of the Collie Fallen Soldiers' Memorial in the presence of Lady Newdegate, Minister for Works Mr W. J. George, Leader of the State Opposition Mr P. Collier, the Bishop of Bunbury Rev Cecil Wilson, returned soldiers and a large assembly of residents. During his speech the Governor noted that 1200 men had enlisted from the Collie district, of whom 400 had been wounded and 120 were killed. The Collie War Memorial was officially unveiled on Sunday 4 September by 1921 by the Governor Sir Francis Newdegate.
|Address:||Steere and Johnston Street, Soldiers Park, Collie, 6225|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.357966|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 4th September, 1921|