Claremont War MemorialPrint Page
The Claremont War Memorial was erected in memory of the men and women of Claremont who enlisted in the Great War. The memorial also commemorates those who fought in World War Two, Malaya, Korea, Borneo and Vietnam.
The monument is built from Donnybrook stone with marble inserts on a rough cut granite foundation. This is set on a cruciform concrete base and is designed like a miniature Gothic church, the central spire and flying buttresses are topped with trefoil finials.
The contract for the memorial which was erected in honour of the men and women of the Claremont district who had voluntarily enlisted in the Great War was signed on behalf of the Memorial Committee and the foundation stone laid by General Sir Talbot Hobbs on the 24th September 1922.
Sunday Times (Perth) 24th September 1922.
The memorial was dedicated by the Chaplain-General, Archbishop Riley and unveiled by the Governor, Sir Francis Newdegate on the 25th March 1923.
The West Australian (Perth), 26th March 1923
|Address:||308 Stirling Highway, Claremont, 6010|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.983168|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 25th March, 1923|