Bruce Rock War MemorialPrint Page
Granite limestone tower with clock face on three sides was originally erected to commemorate those who served Australia during the First and Second World Wars. The names of those lost in action appear on the north and south sides. On the front of the memorial is a brass sword and plaques commemorating the fallen from all wars and conflicts since Sudan in 1885.
At a meeting of the Bruce Rock war memorial committee on the 24th January, the chairman (Mr. S. A. Brown) said that a permit for the construction of the memorial had been obtained and the contractors hoped to commence the work soon. They expected that sufficient progress would be made to have a stone-laying ceremony on Anzac Day. The memorial will be a clock tower of Donnybrook stone with a three-face clock. The total cost, including the clock and flood-lighting, is estimated at about £1,400, nearly £1,000 of which is in hand.
The West Australian (Perth), 26th January 1950.
In the presence of a big crowd the State president of the Returned Servicemen's League (Mr. T. .Sten) on Saturday unveiled the Bruce Rock district war memorial. The Director of Recruiting in W.A. (Sir Charles Latham), who also spoke, appealed to young men to join the services and so seek to prevent another world war. The service was conducted by the Rev. Dr. Bazeley, of Merredin, who offered up the dedication prayer.
The West Australian (Perth), 20th March 1951.
|Address:||Johnson Street, intersection of Bath Street, Bruce Rock, 6418|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.878845|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 17th March, 1951|
Lest We Forget