Augusta War MemorialPrint Page
Augusta War Memorial was originally erected to commemorate those that died in service or were killed in action during World War One. The names of those who lost their lives in World War Two were added to the memorial at a later date.
The approach path has 78 bronze plaques for those who served in World War Two. Surrounding the memorial are plinths which list the various conflicts in which Australia has been involved.
In the presence of about 500 people, the new war memorial at Augusta was unveiled on April 19. The unveiling was performed by Col. A. C. N. and the Rev. E. C. Dawson performed the dedication ceremony. The memorial, which stands on a hill overlooking the Blackwood River, between Augusta and Cape Leeuwin, comprises a marble column surmounting a base of West Australian granite and concrete. At the ceremony, Col. Olden referred to the significance of the position of the statue, as it was placed in the extreme south-west corner of the continent — a part of Australia which provided many Australian soldiers with their last glimpse of their native country. The cost of the memorial was defrayed entirely by public subscription.
The West Australian, 30th April 1930.
|Address:||York & Osnaburg Streets, Memorial Park, Augusta, 6290|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.327573|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 19th April, 1930|
King and Country.
1914 - 1918.
[ Names ]
Fallen 1939 - 45.
[ Names ]
In Memory Of The Fallen
Unknown Australian Soldier
75th Anniversary Of