Uraidla War MemorialPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Bryan Cole

A monument commemorates those who died in service or were killed in action in World War One and World War Two. The monument  was originally erected in memory of those from Uraidla and District who lost their lives in World War One. It is a marble monument enclosed within a wire mesh fence, comprising an octagonal tapered pillar in two sections surmounted by a Cross of Sacrifice, embossed on the Cross is a smaller Cross.

Uraidla was the scene of an impressive ceremony on Sunday afternoon, when His Excellency the Governor (Sir Archibald Weigall) unveiled a memorial to the fallen soldiers of the district.  Although the sky was overcast with clouds, the weather was ideal, and a huge crowd of residents from the surrounding districts gathered to witness the ceremony. The memorial is in the form of an obeiisk, and occupies a commanding position at the entrance of the Memorial Park, which was purchased in 1920 by means of subscriptions, and officially opened on Anzac Day in the same year. The monument, including the concrete base, is 14 ft high, and cost approximately £170-£135 of which has already been raised.
The Register (Adelaide), 27 March 1922.


Address:Swamp Road, Memorial Park, Uraidla, 5142
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.957267
Long: 138.742689
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919
Monument Designer:W. Larby & Son


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 26th March, 1922
Front Inscription

This cross was erected by the residents of Uraidla and the surrounding district to commemorate the sacrifice of their men whose names are hereon inscribed, who died in the service of their King and Country during the Great War.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

March 1922.

World War II

1939 - Lest we forget - 1945

[ Names ]

Left Side Inscription

[ Names ]


Back Inscription

This Soldiers`Memorial Park was opened on ANZAC Day, April 25, 1920.

In grateful recognition of the courage and fortitude of all those men who enlisted from this District during the days of the Great War.

Source: MA,TOH
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design