27th Battalion Royal South Australian Regiment MemorialPrint Page
A trench mortar commemorates the 27th Battalion Royal South Australian Regiment. It was installed to mark the occasion of conferring the freedom of the city on the battalion.
The 27th Battalion was an infantry battalion of the Australian Army. It was initially raised in 1915 as part of the First Australian Imperial Force for service during World War One. During the conflict, the battalion saw action briefly at Gallipoli before later fighting on the Western Front between 1916 and 1918. It was disbanded in 1919, but was re-raised in 1921 as part of the Citizens Force, which later became the "Militia". During World War Two the battalion was used mainly in a garrison role until the last year of the war when it was committed to the fighting against the Japanese during the Bougainville campaign.
|Address:||Unley Road & Thomas Street, Memorial Gardens, Unley, 5061|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.951917|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 29th June, 1986|
This Three Inch Trench Mortar, presented by the Unley Sub-Branch of the Returned Services League and the Corporation of the City of Unley, is dedicated to all who served in the 27th Battalion, Royal South Australian Regiment, was installed to mark the occassion of the conferring of the freedom of the City of Unley upon the 27th Batallion by the Unley City Council
The twenty - ninth day of June, 1986