www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Burnside War Memorial HospitalPrint Page Print this page

19-July-2014
19-July-2014

Photographs supplied by Roger Johnson

The Burnside War Memorial Hospital commemorates those who served in World Wars One and Two.  The hospital was rebuilt and rededicated on the 30th March 2003. The original site is still intact.

The establishment of a community hospital in Burnside was first suggested in August 1943 at a meeting of the Burnside Council`s Post-War Reconstruction and Development Committee. In November 1943, the Council adopted the Committee`s recommendation that a hospital costing up to 100,000 pounds be built and that it become the area’s principal memorial to the fallen service personnel of the two World Wars.  Attunga the former home of Mr O.Von Rieben was converted to the memorial hospital and was officially opened by the Governor on the 7th March 1950.
News (Adelaide), 1st March 1950.

Location

Address:120 Kensington Road, Toorak Gardens, 5065
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.92723
Long: 138.63873
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Multiple

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Tuesday 7th March, 1950
Front Inscription
Burnside War Memorial Hospital Inc
Inscription in Proximity
Burnside War Memorial Hospital Incorporated
Established as a living memorial to the men and women of the District who gave their lives in the two World Wars, and all others who served, made possible through the foresight of the City of Burnside and the generous gift of Attunga by Otto Georg von Rieben in 1944.
Source: MA,TOH
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design