Strathalbyn War MemorialPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Bryan Cole

A monument commemorates those who died in service or were killed in action in World War One and World War Two.

The Strathalbyn War Memorial was unveiled by the His Excellency The Governor, Sir Archibald Weigall on the 14th August 1921 in the presence of about 2000 people. The monument was erected in memory of the men of Strathalbyn who fell in World War One. The total cost of the monument was £825.
The Register (Adelaide) 15th August 1921.

On the 26th June 1949, a bronze plaque was unveiled at the memorial by Major E. E.Mattner, M.C., D.C.M., M.M. in honour of the men who had fallen in World War Two.
Southern Argus (Port Elliott), 16th June 1949.


Address:Sunter Street, Soldiers Memorial Gardens, Strathalbyn, 5255
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.257456
Long: 138.891527
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Monument Designer:Charles Douglas Richardson
Monument Manufacturer:Mr J Robinson ( Carlton) stone work : Mr K Milne, construction


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 14th August, 1921
Front Inscription

1914 - 1919

Strathalbyn`s tribute to her heroic dead

"Their grave is the undying memory of the generations that come after them"

[ Names ] 

Back Inscription

1939 - 1945

Strathalbyn`s tribute to her heroic dead

"They died that we might live. may we ever live - worthy of them"

[ Names ] 

Source: MA,TOH
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design