Smithfield War MemorialPrint Page
Smithfield War Memorial commemorates Australian servicemen and women who have served in conflicts in which Australia has been involved. The memorial was originally erected to commemorate the fallen soldiers of World War One and contained a soldier statue and was located adjacent to the Smithfield Institute. Due to vandalism the soldier was removed and replaced with the cross that was manufactured by students of the Elizabeth High School in 1980.
A large gathering of friends and comrades of fallen soldiers and people of the surrounding districts met at Smithfield on Sunday, May 1 to witness the unveiling of the Public Memorial. A squad of returned men under Lieut. Adams and and a Guard of Honour of school children (under direction of their teacher, Mr. J. A. Shepherd) marched to their places. The Chairman (Mr. T. Worden) announced the hymn, "O God our Help in Ages Past", which all joined in singing, Miss Blake being the pianist. The Secretary of the Memorial Committee (Mr J. A Shepherd) stated that the Memorial completed and erected had cost £175. This sum was fully subscribed by the residents as was the amount for the railing in front of the monument, the whole being handed over to the Trustees of the Institute free of debt. Mr John Roberts then unveiled the Memorial, and thanked the Committee for the honour conferred on him in this direction.
Bunyip ( Gawler SA), 21 May 1920.
|Address:||Anderson Walk, Memorial Park, Smithfield, 5114|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.682937|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 1st May, 1920|