Salisbury War MemorialPrint Page
Salisbury War Memorial commemorates Australian servicemen and women who have served in all wars and conflicts.
The war memorial was originally erected to commemorate those who lost their lives in World War One with the plaque commemorating those fell in World War Two added to the memorial in 1948. A pathway of stone plinths containing plaques leads up to the main memorial at the back of which is a large brick wall.
Three years ago it was decided to erect a memorial in Salisbury to those who fell in the war, but a delay arising from inability, to decide upon the form postponed the completion till the present time. On Sunday everything was ready for the unveiling, when a fine gathering from the surrounding neighbourhood gathered at the monument, close to the crossing near the railway-station. The memorial is of a very solid type, of red granite, surmounted by piled rifles, signifying peace. A bronze plate on the front bears the names of 15 soldiers who fell, out of a total of 84 enlisted from the district, and on the back another plate bears the phrase— 'To Serve is to reign.' Brigadier-General S. Price Weir performed the unveiling ceremony.
Chronicle (Adelaide), 1 July 1922.
On Sunday afternoon many hundreds of people gathered at the Salisbury War Memorial to witness the unveiling of a. tablet bearing the names of 13 men from the district who fell in World War II. The Chairman of the District Council, Cr. A.T. Goodall J.P., presided. The unveiling was performed by two little girls, Joy and Kay, daughters, of the late Pte. M.A. Cradock who were the only children in the district to lose their father in World War II.
Bunyip (Gawler, SA), 30 April 1948.
|Address:||Memorial & Orange Avenues, Reserve, Salisbury, 5108|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.765542|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 25th June, 1922|