Rosewater War Memorial Print Page
A monument commemorates Australian servicemen and women who have served in conflicts in which Australia has been involved.
The monument is in the form of a Cross of Sacrifice and was originally erected by the women of Rosewater to commemorates those who died in service or were killed in action in World War One.
A public meeting was held at the Rosewater District Hall on Tuesday evening for the purpose of presenting the report of the Rosewater Women's Memorial Fund. The Mayor of Port Adelaide (Mr. H. Slade) presided. The report of the president (Miss A. D. Allan) showed that the committee formed in May,1921 with the object of perpetuating the memory of the Rosewater men who had fallen in action. The committee consists of women only, most of whom are mothers of fallen soldiers. They were successful in their efforts to erect a memorial, and on April 15, 1922, 11 months after holding their first meeting, the Cross of Sacrifice, erected at the Rosewater Reserve, was unveiled by Sir Archibald Weigall.
The Advertiser (Adelaide), 19 November 1924.
|Address:||Canning & Chad Street, Eric Sutton Oval, Rosewater, 5013|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.854706|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 15th April, 1922|
God, keep their memory green
[ Names ]
Unveiled by His Excellency the Governor, Sir Archibald Weigall K.C.M.G. on April 15th, 1922 and erected as a tribute of pride by the women of Rosewater in honor of the men who died for King and Country in the Great War 1914 - 1919
"He died the noblest death a man can die
Fighting for God truth and loyalty
And such a death is immortality."
In memory to all services
World War II 1939 - 1945
Korea 1950 - 1953
Vietnam 1962 - 1973
Lest We Forget