Penola War MemorialPrint Page
A monument commemorates those who have served in the various conflicts in which Australia has been involved. The memorial was originally unveiled to commemorate the fallen of World War One. The memorial was relocated to its present position circa 1934.
Monument characteristics :
Polished grey granite column
The Soldiers' Memorial, which has been erected on the corner of the roads leading to Mount Gambier and Casterton, was unveiled on Sunday afternoon, February 27, in the presence of a very large gathering. Mr. L. R DeGaris, J.P., the President of the Penola Branch of the R.S.A, presided.
Kiplings "Recessional" having been sung the Chairman briefly related the history of the movement to erect a memorial. The delay was not occasioned by the fallen having been forgotten, for they were constantly in their minds. There had been a difficulty in deciding what the memorial should consist of. Eventually a monument had been decided on, and the people of the district had readily responded. The work had been carried out by Messrs. W. H. Martin, Ltd., and was before them in the shape of a beautiful grey granite monument, of which they could all feel proud.
The Narracoorte Herald (SA), 4 March 1927.
|Address:||Church Street , Penola, 5277|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.377453|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Manufacturer:||Messrs W.H. Martin Ltd|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 27th February, 1927|
The Great War
1914 - 1919
Hallowed to the memory of
[ Names ]
1939 - 1945
[ Names ]
1965 - 1972
[ Name ]