Norton Summit War MemorialPrint Page
The Norton Summit War Memorial was originally erected by residents of the district in memory of those who lost their lives in World War One. The names of the fallen of World War Two were added to the memorial at a later date. The obelisk is surmounted by a cross, a symbol of self sacrifice.
There was a large gathering at Norton's Summit on Sunday to witness the unveiling' of the Soldiers' Memorial by the Chief Justice (Sir George Murray). When the war broke out there was a ready response for service from the young men of the hills, and 16 from Norton's Summit, Ashton, and Cherryville laid down their lives in the cause of humanity. It was decided to erect a monument bearing the names of the fallen on the site of honour at the top of the hill, where all the roads leading to Norton's Summit converge.
The result is a handsome stone designed by the commitee, composed of a base, inscription stone, and a 10 ft. 2 in. column, surmounted by a Canterbury cross standing in all 19 ft. high, and made of Angaston marble. The work was executed by Messrs. G. E. Morgan & Son, of Adelaide. It is to be enclosed by a reinforced concrete wall, surmounted by an iron railing, and a garden of flowering shrubs is to be planted. When all is complete it is estimated that the cost will be about £250.
The Register (Adelaide), 21 June 1920.
|Address:||Colonial Drive & Debneys Road, Norton Summit, 5136|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.922763|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 20th June, 1920|