Murray Bridge Soldiers Memorial HospitalPrint Page
The hospital commemorates who served in the various conflicts in which Australia has been involved.
The concept of the development of the hospital in Murray Bridge was first publicly conceived at a general meeting held on 13th January 1919. It was decided to proceed with the development of a hospital that would be dedicated as a Soldiers’ Memorial Hospital, in remembrance of the Soldiers who had fallen in World War One and in any future wars.
Planning and fundraising proceeded for a couple of years and land was donated by Mr William Jaensch in 1921. The 26 bed hospital was opened on 20th August 1923. Further extensions have been added since that time: 1938 (11 beds), 1960 (7 beds), 1965 (17 beds). Additional land was purchased in 1964 and in 1969 a major rebuilding program was commenced and was officially opened in October 1971.
Additional rebuilding and extension programs were carried out in 1979 and 1982 which resulted in new theatres, diagnostic services and a general upgrading of many areas. In 2000 minor redevelopment was carried out on the Day Surgery, North Wing and Heddle Wing areas which allowed the maternity section to integrate with the general patient area. In 2004 to 2007 the hospital undertook a major redevelopment project of the Hospital and Community Health Service which was completed in November 2007.
|Address:||Swanport Road & Monash Terrace, Murray Bridge, 5254|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.128435|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.