McLaren Vale War MemorialPrint Page
A monument commemorates those who died in service or were killed in action in World Wars One and Two. The memorial was originally unveiled in 1933 in memory of those from the district who lost their lives in World War One.
Making the first official vice-regal visit to the district since 1909, the Governor (Sir Alexander Hore Ruthven) opened a soldiers' memorial and a new hall here on Saturday afternoon. The Governor, who was accompanied by Lady Hore-Ruthven, with Captain Williamson in attendance, was met by Messrs. S. G. Ellis (president of the hall committee). F. E. Osborn (president of the local sub-branch of the Returned Soldiers League and of the building committee), and F. W. Kay, and greeted by about 800 residents of the district. Before mounting the dais he shook hands with each of 40 returned soldiers, who formed a guard of honor.
The Governor said he had often passed through the district on his way to Victor Harbour, and he considered that it was one of the most picturesque and attractive in South Australia. He presumed that they were experiencing hard times, and he appealed for patience. Civilisation, he said, was not so bankrupt that the world would not recover. Australia would be one of the first countries to regain prosperity, because, as it was not over populated, there should be plenty of work for all. Through a defect in the social system it had not been possible to bring the willing worker and the job together.
After the unveiling ceremony, the band played "Nearer My God to Thee," "Last Post" and "Reveille" was sounded and a laurel wreath was placed on the memorial by Mr. Osborn. At the door of the hall Sir Alexander Hore-Ruthven was presented with a gold key, with which he unlocked the door. After a vote of thanks, proposed by Mr. Ellis, an inspection was made, and the vice-regal party was entertained at afternoon tea. Lady Hore-Ruthven was presented with a posy by Margaret Potter. The women's committee held a fete in the old hall, and the proceeds exceeded £65. The fete was opened by Miss Kay, who was introduced by Mrs. Powell, president of the women's committee. A vote of thanks to Mrs. Kay was moved by Mrs. Poole. In the evening a concert in the new hall was attended by about 500. At the request of Mr. Ellis, Mrs. Powell raised the stage curtain for the first time. The new main hall measures 60 by 40 feet, in addition to which there are a library, 28 by 14 ft., and four smaller rooms. The building is of stone. A tablet on the memorial bears the names of 22 men from the district who fell in the Great War.
Chronicle (Adelaide), 6 July 1933.
|Address:||151 Main Road, Public Hall, McLaren Vale, 5171|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.21746|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 1st July, 1933|
1914 In Remembrance 1918
Those who fell
1914 - 1918
[ Names ]
1939 - 1945
[ Names ]