Marion War MemorialPrint Page
The Marion War Memorial was originally built to commemorate those who lost their lives in World War One. Additional plaques have now been added to the memorial to commemorate other conflicts in which Australia has been involved. The war memorial was originally situated in the Sturt Road Memorial Oval and relocated to the Marion RSL Park when the oval undertook renovations.
Under the most pleasant weather conditions, probably the largest crowd ever seen in the Sturt district assembled on Sunday afternoon to witness the official unveiling of the soldiers' memorial statue erected to perpetuate the memory of the men of Sturt who fell in the great war. The monument, which is approximately 14 ft. high, is composed of polished Australian granite, placed on a rough granite base. On two of the panels of the pedestal are the names of the 16 men who made the supreme sacrifice.
The whole of the work was entrusted to Mr. Peter Laycock, of Adelaide, who is himself a returned soldier, and reflects great credit upon his workmanship. Mr. F. H. Edwards (Chairman of the Memorial Committee), in introducing Brig.-Gen. Price Weir, who had been invited to assist in the unveiling ceremony, said they owed a deep debt of gratitude to the men who had left the district and fought for King and Empire, and were gratified to know that most of these men had returned and were again peacefully settled in or around their old homes. Mrs. W. J. Wigglesworth who lost two sons at the war front, was then asked to unveil the monument.
The Register (Adelaide), 30 June 1921.
|Address:||Norfolk Road, RSL Memorial Park, Marion, 5043|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.013342|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:|
|Actual Event End Date:|
|Monument Designer:||Mr Peter Laycock|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 26th June, 1921|