Peace Memorial InstitutePrint Page
The Peace Memorial Institute was erected to commemorate those who served in World War One and World War Two.
The hall was originally erected as a commemoration of peace and to honour the soldiers of World War One. Memorial stones were added to the front of the hall in 1936 during South Australia's centenary celebrations and an honour stone commemorating those who served in World War Two was placed in the brickwork on the 29th May 1954.
The Littlehampton folk have, as a result of united effort, financial enterprise, and practical organization, successfully accomplished the task of building a new and up-to-date public hall, which they undertook at the latter end of last year. Those responsible for the undertaking were in the first place deserving of considerable credit for their courage in launching such a project at a time when the calls on one's purse were so numerous and the cost of building material had risen to such a high figure.
But these difficulties were resolutely faced by the promoters, with the gratifying result witnessed on Saturday afternoon - the opening of their fine, large, well-built, and up to-date hall, which has been appropriately named the Littlehampton Peace Memorial Hall. It is, as Mrs. L. T. Cowan remarked in her little opening speech on Saturday afternoon, a fitting memorial of a glorious peace brought about by our brave soldiers, the ranks of which included a fair proportion of the population of Littlehampton.
The Mount Barker Courier and Onkaparinga and Gumeracha Advertiser (SA), 28 November 1919.
|Address:||75 North Terrace, Littlehampton, 5250|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.048487|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 22nd November, 1919|
Peace Memorial Institute