Henley & Grange Soldiers Memorial HallPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Bryan Cole

The Henley and Grange Memorial Hall commemorates those served in conflicts in which Australia has been involved. The Memorial was originally built to commemorate those who served in World War One.  It was built by the residents of the town in grateful recognition of their gallant deeds and noble sacrifice. The memorial stone was laid by the Governor, Lieutenant- Colonel Weigall on the 23rd October 1921. The hall was officially opened in July 1922 and incorporates the Town Hall. 

The memorial hall to the memory of local soldiers who took part in the Great War was opened at Henley Beach on Sunday. The Premier (Sir Henry Barwell) assisted at the ceremony. About three years ago Mr. W. F. Harrison (then Mayor of the Henley and Grange), organized a movement to raise the necessary money for that scheme, and after £1800 had been raised, it was decided to erect a memorial, which would also serve as a frontage to the town hall.

The structure, which is surmounted by a dome 38 ft. high, is 19 ft. long and 19 ft. wide. In the front portion, facing west, is a beautifully designed stained glass memorial window 14 ft. by 16 ft. A light has been installed so that the beauty of the window may also be witnessed at night. A bronze honour roll contains the names of 148 men who enlisted, and of whom 28 paid the supreme sacrifice. Inside the hall there are enlarged photographs of the deceased soldiers.
The Register (Adelaide), 31st July 1922.



Address:Seaview Road & North Street, Henley Beach, 5022
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.916806
Long: 138.493644
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event STart Date:
Actual Event End Date:
Monument Designer:Chas. W. Rutt and Seppelt
Monument Manufacturer:H. Naylor


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 23rd October, 1921
Front Inscription



This Memorial Is Dedicated To Those Who Served In

The Great War.  1914 - 1918

Being residents of this town, in grateful recognition of their gallant deeds and noble sacrifice.
Unveiled by His Excellency the Governor
Lieut. Col. Sir W. E. G. A. Weigall, K.C.M.G.
October 23rd 1921

Lest We Forget

Left Side Inscription

In Honour Of
Those Who Served


Plaque :

Henley & Grange Corporation
This Stone Was Laid By
D. J. Beck ESQ., J.P., Mayor
Oct. 17th. 1921.

Chas. W Rutt & Seppelt 
S.A.I.A. Architects
H. Naylor       C.E. Whyte  
Contractor      Town Clerk

Right Side Inscription

In Honour Of
Those Who Served

Malay Peninsula
1948 - 1960
1964 - 1965

1950 - 1953

1962 - 1966

1962 - 1973

Gulf War
1990 - 1991

Source: MA,TOH
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design