Keane War Memorial GardensPrint Page
The Keane War Memorial Gardens were established in 1999 to commemorate those who served in conflicts in which Australia has been involved.
The gardens contains the War Memorial which was originally erected in 1921 to commemorate those who served in World War One but now contains plaques to later conflicts. A paved garden area also contains the Australian War Dead Memorial.
The gardens were named after the Keane Family for their significant contribution to the community.
|Address:||Chandlers Hill Road & Herrings Lane, Happy Valley, 5159|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.078625|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 17th April, 1999|
KEANE WAR MEMORIAL GARDENS.
These War Memorial Gardens Were Established
By The City Of Onkaparinga In 1998 And
Officially Opened By Mayor Ray Gilbert On The
17th Of April 1999.
In 1998 The Monument Was Restored, Additional Names Added To Reflect Subsequent Wars And Moved 50 Metres West Of Its Original Location.
At The Time Of The Monument`s Dedication In 1921, Local School Children Planted A Rose Garden As A Memorial To Fallen World War 1 Soldiers. Although The Original Garden Has Not Survived, It Has Been Replaced With Gardens Which Are Predominately Roses In Keeping With The Original Theme. The New Rose Gardens Were Established Also With The Assistance Of Local School Children And Members Of The Returned & Services League.
These Gardens Are Named After The Keane Family In Recognition Of The Significant Contribution Made By Members Of The Family To The Local Community in Peace Time and In Military Service.