Gumeracha District Soldiers Memorial HospitalPrint Page Print this page

The Gumeracha District Soldiers Memorial Hospital was erected in memory of those who served in World War One.

Nestling among the hills, on a site overlooking the town, the Soldiers' Memorial Hospital at Gumeracha will long serve to keep green the memory of the men of the district who fought for King and country in the great war. Saturday, July 1922 was a red-letter day for the pretty little hills township, residents gathering in large numbers to witness the opening ceremony in connection with the institution, which was performed by Lady Verco. It is estimated that the total cost, when the building is completed, will be in the vicinity of £2,700, of which £2,500 has been contributed in cash and kind— a fine tribute to the generosity of residents. The foundation stone was laid by Lady Weigall on October 25, 1921, and the building was completed a few weeks ago by the contractor (Mr. J. Woolard), who has spared no pains to make it up-to-date in every particular. It had been intended to unveil a memorial tablet, but the chairman announced that the ceremony had, through unforeseen circumstances, to be, postponed to a later date.
Chronicle (Adelaide), 29 July 1922.


Address:Albert Street, Gumeracha, 5233
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.825936
Long: 138.882881
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Monument Manufacturer:Mr.J.Woolard (contractor)


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Tuesday 25th October, 1921
Source: TOH, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design