Gawler River Memorial HallPrint Page
The Gawler River Memorial Hall was erected in memory of those who served. The hall was officially opened and dedicated on the 18th March 1951.
Mr. W.J.Dawkins O.B.E laid the foundation stone of Gawler River Memorial Hall after the Harvest Festival service in the church on 25th February. When initial discussions arose concerning a hall for the district suggestions had been made to purchase an Army hut, build a galvanised iron place or erect one of asbestos with timber framing. But leaders of the district had felt that nothing less than the best was good enough for the community. "As a result" continued Mr. Dawkins, "today we view this Iovely stone monument." Before laying the stone Mr. W. J. Dawkins said how thrilled and proud he was to see the beautiful hall nearing completion — it was a fine monument to the men who had served their King and Country, and would always be a living memory.
Bunyip (Gawler SA), 9 March 1951.
Introduced by Mr. I. R. Elliott (President of the Gawler River' Memorial Hall Committee), Mr. W. J. Dawkins, O.B.E., J.P., turned the key of the door and declared building open at 3pm on Sunday afternoon. The service of dedication began with the hymn 'Land of Our Birth' followed by the invocation by Rev. Brasher. In his remarks Mr. W. J. Dawkins referred to the fine structure built as a fitting war memorial and as an aid to reverence in connection with the church nearby to accommodate Sunday School classes, to provide entertainment for Band of Hope meetings, to further the interests of the Literary and Drama Societies. Social and Sports Clubs for the Bureau and other public meetings. Mr. Poole unveiled the Honour Roll and recited the Ode of Remembrance. Rev. Silwood presented his address and Prayer of Dedication.
Bunyip (Gawler SA), 23 March 1951.
|Address:||Gawler River Road, Gawler River, 5117|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.615076|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 18th March, 1951|