www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Coonalpyn Soldiers Memorial Park Print Page Print this page

12-January-2016
12-January-2016

Photographs supplied by Roger Johnson

A park commemorates those who served in World War One, World War Two and Vietnam. The park was originally established in memory of those who served in World War One. 

The gates at the entrance to the sporting grounds consist of four brick pillars with the central two supporting a wrought iron arch. A bronze plaque is attached to the front of each main pillar, a third brass plaque is affixed to the left face of the right hand main pillar.

It was a gala day at Coonalpyn on Saturday, when the new kiosk on the Soldiers' Memorial Recreation Ground was opened by Mr. G. E. Venning, one of the leading farmers of the district, and for 33 years a resident. There were about 150 people present, all of whom came from holdings within ten miles. Mr. C. T. T. George said that the land had been given to Coonalpyn by the Government to be used as a recreation ground. It had been dedicated to men of Coonalpyn, 22 in number, who had served in the Great War. About 13 years ago a fund was started to provide a permanent building on the site, and it had been left open until the present kiosk had been erected.
Advertiser (Adelaide, SA),  6 May 1935.

Location

Address:Dukes Highway, Coonalpyn, 5265
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.692542
Long: 139.854201
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Park
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Multiple

Dedication

Front Inscription

             COONALPYN
SOLDIERS MEMORIAL PARK

Left Side Inscription

In Memory
Of Those Who Served
World War I  1914 - 1919

[ Names ]
 

Right Side Inscription

In Memory
Of Those Who Served
World War II  
1939 - 1945

[ Names ]

In Memory
Of Those Who Served
Vietnam
1962 - 1973

[ Names ]

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design