www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Clarendon War MemorialPrint Page Print this page

09-March-2014
09-March-2014

Photographs supplied by Bryan Cole
Clarendon War Memorial commemorates those who served in World Wars One and Two. The memorial was originally erected to commemorate the fallen and returned of World War One with the names of those who served in World War Two added at a later date.

Despite the inclement weather conditions on Saturday, a large crowd assembled at Clarendon to witness the unveiling of the magnificent memorial stone erected by the residents as a tribute to the gallantry of the men who enlisted for servlce in the war. The front of the granite obelisk bears a tablet containing the names of six fallen soldiers, and on the sides are the names of two nurses and 31 men who returned. Councillor Potter introduced Mrs. Merritt and Mrs. G. Lester (each of whom lost two sons), and Mrs. Chapman and Mrs. G. Spencer' (each of whom lost one son). The two former ladies unveiled the monument, and thanked the people for the honour done them.
Chronicle (Adelaide), 24 July 1920.

Location

Address:Grant`s Gully Road, Clarendon, 5157
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.108634
Long: 138.628565
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Multiple

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 17th July, 1920
Front Inscription

Lest We Forget

Fallen 
[ Names ]
1939 - 1945

Fallen
[ Names ]

In honor of our Clarendon boys who took part in the Great War
1914 - 1919.

Left Side Inscription

Returned 
[ Names ]

 

Right Side Inscription

Returned 
[ Names ]

Source: MA,TOH
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design