Auburn Memorial GatesPrint Page
The Auburn Memorial Gates were originally erected to commemorate three soldiers who died in service or were killed in action in World War Two.
A plaque was added at a later date to commemorate those who served in the Korean and Vietnam Wars, and the Malayan and Borneo campaigns.
The Annual Anzac Service was held on Sunday, May 1st, in the Institute. The Chairman of the District Council (Mr. H. Walton) presided, and the address was most ably given by the Rev. Cook (Baptist) of Clare. After the service an adjournment was made to the monument, where wreaths were placed in honor of fallen soldiers in World War 1, after which the crowd moved to the newly erected gates as a Memorial to the three fallen soldiers from Auburn in World War 11. The president of the local branch of the R.S.L. (Mr.E. H. P. Whitehead) had charge of the proceedings, and asked Mr. Fred Standish of Clare, a returned soldier of World War II, and District Commissioner, to unveil the gates.
Northern Argus (Clare), 5th May 1949.
|Address:||King Street, Centenary Park, Auburn, 5451|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.025499|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 1st May, 1949|
1939 - 1945
At The Going Down Of The Sun
And In The Morning
We Will Remember Them
In Recognition Of All Who Served
Korean, Malayan, Borneo
South Vietnam Campaigns
1939 - 1945
[ Names ]