Australian Imperial Force War CemeteryPrint Page
Australian Imperial Force War Cemetery contains the graves of those who served in World War One and World War Two.
In 1920 following representation from the Cheer-up Hut Society and the Soldier's Welfare Combined Recommendation Committee the Government agreed to set aside a portion of the West Terrace Cemetery as an AIF Garden of Memory Cemetery. Funds were raised from the public by the sponsoring organisations to lay out the new Cemetery, which would be matched by the State Government on a pound for pound basis up to 2500 pounds. The primary purpose of the Cemetery was contained in its name; so only those people who served in the First Australian Imperial Forces were eligible for burial.
The Australian Imperial Forces (AIF) Cemetery was officially opened in 1920 soon after peace was declared in the Great War 1914-1918. Dedicated exclusively for the burial of ex-service personnel this project was the first soldiers' burial ground in the Commonwealth.
Situated in the South Western corner of historic West Terrace Cemetery the AIF section now spans an area of four acres and contains the graves of 4155 ex service personnel, including four Victoria Cross recipients. It is bordered by a hedge and contains a seeding related to the original lone pine on Gallipoli, which was planted to commemorate the brave deeds and sacrifices of the Anzacs.
The Cross of Sacrifice, a gift from the Federal Government, is situated prominently in the centre of the cemetery, and was the first to be erected in an Australian Cemetery.
Elaborate arrangements have been made by the A.I.F. Cemetery Trust to solemnize the dedication of the Soldiers' Cemetery, West Terrace, on Sunday afternoon at 3 o'clock. His Excellency tthe Governor will deliver an address an unveil the head tablets erected on the graves of those who have died since returning from the Great War. The ceremony will be of a religious nature, and will be conducted by chaplains who saw overseas service. 'The supreme sacrifice,' which was sung at the burial of the Unknown Warrior in London will be rendered on this occasion.
The Register (Adelaide), 9 December 1922.
|Address:||161 West Terrace, West Terrace Cemetery, Adelaide, 5000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.936619|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 10th December, 1922|