Turriff & District PioneersPrint Page
A wall commemorates the pioneers of Turrif and District.
|Address:||2118 Sunraysia Highway, Turriff, 3488|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.455641|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Manufacturer:||Halls Memorial (Mildura, VIC)|
Turriff & District Pioneers
[ Names ]
In 1901 the first settlers came to the Mallee, where the town was later named Turriff after Mr John Turriff manager of Corrong Station.
There was no permanent water, no telephone, roads were just sandy tracks. The Railway line was bulit in 1902 - 1903 through thick Mallee scrub, from Woomeland to Nowingi. The SEC power came in 1964.
17000 klms of open channel was constructed by horse teams and scoops, which brought water to the Mallee from storage in the Grampains from 1912 completed early 1920.
Channels ran once a year to fill dams.