www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Australian Commando MemorialPrint Page Print this page

Australian Commando Memorial : 11-April-2013
Australian Commando Memorial : 11-April-2013

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

A monument commemorates the Commando units of World War Two who camped and trained at Tidal River, and all the commandos were died or were killed during World War Two and in conflicts post World War Two.

The monument also lists people who died or were killed assisting the commandos.

The Australian Commando Memorial was dedicated on 16 November 1964 by the Lieutenant Governor of Victoria Lieutenant General Sir Edmund Herring. The restored memorial was rededicated by the Premier of Victoria, John Brumby on 18 November 2007.

A memorial cairn to honour fallen commandos and the birthplace of the commando in Australia will be unveiled next month. The cairn, which cost about £1.600, is at Tidal River, Wilson's Promontory, Victoria. It will be unveiled by the Lieutenant Governor of Victoria, Lieut.- Gen. Sir Edmund Herring, on November 15. The area, which is a National Park, was, during the war, the training ground for the Independent Companies which were later called Commando Squadrons. The cairn is similar to one erected in Britain by British commandos at their training ground.
Canberra Times (ACT), 21 September 1964.

Location

Address:Ring Road, Tidal River, 3960
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -39.030407
Long: 146.319662
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Multiple
Actual Event STart Date:03-September-1939
Actual Event End Date:15-August-1945

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 15th November, 1964
Front Inscription

This cairn was erected to commemorate the birthplace of the commando in Australia and in memory of all commandos who made the supreme sacrifice in World War II.

During 1941 and 1942 the 1st to 8th Independent Companies, the colour patches of which appear hereon and two New Zealand Units, were formed and trained in Darby and Tidal River areas.  Subsequently Z and M Special Units, 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th Commando Squadrons and Commando Regiments were formed.  Commando training was continued thereafter at Canungra, Fraser Island and elsewhere in Northern Queensland and Garden Island Western Australia.

Erected under the auspices of
THE COMMANDO ASSOCIATION (VICTORIA)
BY AUSTRALIAN COMMANDOS

Unveiled by
LIEUTENANT GENERAL THE HONOURABLE
SIR EDMUND HERRING
K.C.M.G., K.B.E., D.S.O., M.C., E.D.,
LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR OF VICTORIA
at a dedication ceremony held on
the 15th day of November 1964

Left Side Inscription

Honour Roll

Commandos who made the supreme sacrifice during WW2
[ Names ]

Back Inscription

Honour Roll

Commandos who made the supreme sacrifice during WW2
[ Names ]

Right Side Inscription

Honour Roll

Those who made the supreme sacrifice in WW2 assisting commandos 
[ Names ]

Commandos who made the supreme sacrifice post WW2
[ Names ]

Those who made the supreme sacrifice assisting post WW2 commandos 
[ Names ]

Inscription in Proximity

AUSTRALIAN COMMANDO MEMORIAL

Rededicated by 
Hon. John Brumby, MP
Premier of Victoria
18 November 2007

"Lest we forget"

Australian Commando Association

Source: MA,VMR,SKP,VWHI
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design