Memorial Park Print Page
The Memorial Park was established to commemorate those who have served in the various conflicts in which Australia has been involved. The gates of the park are dedicated to those who died in service or were killed in action.
At the meeting of the Stratford branch of the Returned Soldiers' League great disappointment was expressed at the slow progress being made with putting the Stratford Memorial Park into attractive shape. The branch has had money in hand for some considerable time to erect pillars and gates to the park as its contribution, but will not do so until the area is properly cleaned up and converted in to a park which will be a credit to the town. The branch states that the ground shows a neglected appearance and presents no encouragement to them to erect gates of attractive design. There is a Memorial Park Advisory Committee to assist the Avon Shire Council in the development of this park, and it was decided to approach the council through this committee to proceed with improvements.
Gippsland Times (Vic),15 January 1953.
More than 300 people gathered at the Stratford Memorial Park on Saturday morning when the dedication of the park and its gates was carried out. The simple but impressive ceremony at the cenotaph, then at the park and the one which followed at the Returned Soldiers' club rooms were deeply engraved into the minds of all those who attended. The service and the achievements of the organisations were a great credit to the people of Stratford and district, the Returned Soldiers' League and the Avon Shire Council. The new park is also a great credit to all those concerned. Following the service, the president of the Avon Shire (Cr. Davidson) handed over the memorial park for dedication and this was carried out by Pilot Officer Ferguson. The gates erected with funds provided by the Returned Soldiers' League were dedicated to the fallen.
Gippsland Times (Vic.), 27 April 1953.
|Address:||Tyers Street (Princes Highway ), Stratford, 3862|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.965579|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 25th April, 1953|
LEST WE FORGET
LEST WE FORGET