Sandringham & District Memorial HospitalPrint Page Print this page

The Memorial Hospital was originally erected in memory of those who served in both World Wars. 

Plans for a circular design hospital were submitted by Tasmanian architect J. Esmond Dorney in 1961 and approved – a major departure from traditional hospital design. The official opening was held on the 15th March 1964.  In 2008, the Minister for Health gave permission for Sandringham and District Memorial Hospital to be known as Sandringham Hospital. 

Work has been started on the first section of the quarters for nurses at the new Sandringham Memorial Hospital. The hospital, a tribute to those who served in the two world wars, is being erected on a 6¼ acre block, part of the old Royal Melbourne golf links, donated by Sandringham council. There will be 200 beds, distributed in public, intermediate and private wards. Four floors and a sun roof are provided for. Total cost will be in the region of £800,000. On the ground floor will be the out-patients' and administrative department; first floor, obstetrical; second floor, surgical; third floor, medical, and fourth floor, children's department. Nurses' quarters are in a separate building on the site. 

A provisional committee of local residents, with Mr. W. McKay as president and Mr. E. Dimsey as honorary secretary, was created five years ago to work for the erection of the institution, and local auxiliaries and other workers have since raised approximately £30,000. The State has granted £10,000. Architects are Philip B. Hudson, Roy K. Stevenson and Partners, in co-operation with the chief architect of the Public Works department, Mr. P. Everett. Contractors are J. C. Taylor and Sons Pty. Ltd., Geelong. 
Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954), Monday 4 June 1951.



Address:193 Bluff Road, Sandringham Hospital, Sandringham, 3191
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.961363
Long: 145.018417
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Monument Designer:J. Esmond Dorney


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 15th March, 1964
Source: RSLV,SKP
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design