Point Cook CenotaphPrint Page
Point Cook Cenotaph (also known as the Australian Flying Corps Memorial) is dedicated to all those who served in the Australian Flying Corps, Royal Naval Air Service, Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force during the First World War, Second World War and subsequent conflicts. The memorial was originally dedicated to the fallen of World War One but in 1973 a plaque was added to the memorial to commemorate those who had served in World War Two and later conflicts.
The members of the Australian Flying Corps Association (AFCA), which, in Victoria, later became the Australian Flying Corps Branch of RAAFA, contemplated a memorial over a number of years and finally settled upon the present design and chose Point Cook as its location. The memorial was given into the custody of the RAAF at a ceremony on 16 November 1938. The presentation was made by Mr A. E (later Sir Albert) Chadwick and accepted by Chief of the Air Staff, AVM (later Airmarshall ) Sir Richard Williams.
In the formation of a symbolic cross, six Avro Anson bombers flew over the Australian Flying Corps Memorial at Point Cooke on the 30th October 1938 after it had been unveiled by the Governor-General Lord Gowrie.
Kalgoorlie Miner, 31st October 1938.
|Address:||Point Cook Road , RAAF Base , Point Cook, 3030|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.930325|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 30th October, 1938|
Dedicated to the glorious memory of our comrades of the Australian Flying Corps, Royal Naval Air Service, Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force who at the birth of the air service during the Great War 1914-1919 made the supreme sacrifice and whose sacred trust of imperishable honour and duty to country now given into the keeping of the Royal Australian Air Force Association
Per Adua Ad Astra
In Memory of Members of the Royal Australian Air Force Association who served in the 1939-45 War and subsequent Wars.