Ondit Memorial School GroundPrint Page
Ondit Memorial School Ground commemorates former scholars of the school who served in both World Wars. The location is at the site of the former school where in 1920, three trees were planted and a flagpole erected in memory of those who served in World War One.
The war memorial containing the names of those from the school who served in both World Wars is located in the grounds as well as a memorial to the pioneers of Ondit Station.
A pleasant afternoon was spent at Ondit State School on Friday, December 19 (break-up day), when a new flag, the gift of Mrs. Calvert, of "Gnarwyn," was hoisted, and name plates were placed on three memorial trees, which were also presented to the school, the given in this case being Mrs. D. McCready, of Ondit. A good number of people were present, and proceedings commenced at 2.30 p.m. with a short concert by the children, children and Miss Kate Grainger. Mr. Gerrard, president of the School Committee, explained the reason of the afternoon's gathering, and thanked 'Mrs. Calvert and Mrs. McCready for their "generous gifts." He then introduced the chairman for the concert, Master Lyle McCready, who, after a neat little speech, announced the various items of the programme, which had been entirely arranged by the children and Miss Kate Grainger.
At the close of the concert, an adjournment was made to the school ground, where the Rev. Mr. Jones, of Beeac, after a very interesting speech, placed the name plates on the trees. These are in memory of Lieut. J. H. Johnson, whose sister is the head teacher; Lance Corp. F. J. Skellerup, whose father is a member of the school committee, and for all Ondit soldiers. Mr. Jones then asked all present to stand for a few moments with bowed beads in memory of our gallant men, who gave their lives for king and country. One other name plate is to be affixed in memory of Lieut. M. T. Danaher.
The children were then marched to a new flag pole which had been erected by the School Committee, and a very appropriate speech was made by the Rev. Mr. Trevor, of Beeac, after which Mrs. Calvert hoisted the flag, which was saluted by the scholars, and the recitation "It is only a small bit of bunting" was very nicely recited by Maggie Grainger. Mr. Jones, on behalf of Miss Johnson, thanked the School Committee for the great help they had extended to her in many ways connected with the school, and all joined in singing "God Save the King." All present were then invited by Mrs. Calvert to "Gnarwyn" to partake of afternoon tea, provided by herself and other Ondit ladies. A very pleasant time was spent there, and an agreeable surprise awaited the children, in the shape of prizes, which they won by running races. Fruit and lollies were distributed to them, and after a vote of thanks and three cheers for Mrs. Calvert the company dispersed.
Camperdown Chronicle (VIC), 6 January 1920.
|Address:||Ondit - Warrion Road, Ondit, 3249|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.252249|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.