www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Oakleigh CenotaphPrint Page Print this page

31-December-2014
31-December-2014

Photographs supplied by Greg Gordon / Graeme Saunders

The monument commemorates those who have served in the various conflicts in which Australia has been involved.  

It was originally erected to commemorate those who served in World War One. Additional plaques for other conflicts were added at later dates. 

The memorial was relocated and rededicated on the 14th November 1965. 

Monument characteristics :

A square granite column on a two-stepped base.

The Oakleigh war memorial which is now being erected at the intersection of Dandenong and Warrigal Roads, will be unveiled by Major-General C. H. Brand on November 12.  The circular base of the memorial has been constructed of rubble masonry with tapestry brick piers, plinth and coping. The approach steps and surrounding paths are of concrete. The vases surmounting the piers are of architectural terra cotta and contain dwarf cedars, the whole blending to give a subdued color effect. The cenotaph is of fine axed Harcourt granite with a bronze inscription plate and ornament. The works on the base and in laying out the surrounding lawns and paths have been carried out by local returned soldiers, the contractor for the erection of the cenotaph being Mr W. Smith, of Burwood. The design and supervision of the work are in the hands of the Oakleigh City engineer (Mr J. W. Hurst).
The Herald (Melbourne), 1 November 1933. 

Location

Address:Drummond Street, Warrawee Park, Oakleigh, 3166
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.89852
Long: 145.089521
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Multiple
Monument Manufacturer:Mr W Smith (Burwood)

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 12th November, 1933
Front Inscription

ERECTED
IN HONOR OF THOSE
WHO SERVED IN THE
GREAT WAR

1914 - 1918
DUTY NOBLY DONE

Left Side Inscription

Plaque :

THIS MEMORIAL
Originally Erected By
The Oakleigh Welfare League
At The Corner Of
Dandenong & Warrigal Roads
Was Transferred To This Site And
Re-Dedicated On The 14th Nov. 1965

Back Inscription

Unveiled By
Major-General
C. H. Brand
C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O., J.P.
12th November 1933

Lest We Forget
1939 - 1945

Erected By
     The
Oakleigh
Welfare League

Right Side Inscription

Plaque :

Korea 1950 - 1953
Malaya 1948 - 1960
Vietnam 1960 - 1973

This Plaque In Memory Of
Those Who Served In The Above Campaigns
Was Unveiled By

Colonel E. M. Griff, C.B.E., M.C.
On The 11th November, 1979.
"LEST WE FORGET"

Plaque :

The 1939 - 1945 War Memorial
On This Column
Was Unveiled By
Lieut-General
The Hon. Sir Edmund Herring
K.C.M.G., K.B.E., D.S.O., M.C., K. ST.J., E.D.
14th November 1965

Source: MA,RSLV,SKP
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design