Army Apprentices SchoolPrint Page
A monument commemorates the existence of the Army Apprentices School at Balcomber from 1951 to 1982.
|Address:||Nepean Highway, between old Balcombe Camp parade ground and Mace Oval , Mount Martha, 3934|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.270377|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1948|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1982|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||May-2013|
At this site at Balcombe, the Australian Army Apprentices School was established in 1948.
The first intake of 45 youths, aged from 15 - 17 years, from all over Australia, commenced their three year apprenticeship training in 10 different trades. When the school moved from Balcombe to Latchford Barracks at Bonegilla, near Wodonga, in December 1982, the final intake was approaching 300 youths training in 7 trades. During the life of the school at Balcombe, clerks and bandsmen were also trained.
Between the years 1951 to 1982, Balcombe witnessed the graduation of more than 5000 Army Apprentices at the completion of their training.
This plaque commemorates the existence of the Australian Army Apprentices School here at Balcombe and is dedicated to the memory of the Army Apprentices who passed through the gates, and to the military and civilian staff who served at the school.
The Balcombe camp was decommissioned in 1983.
in 1995 the last Army Apprentices graduation parade was conducted at Bonegilla.
Plaque provided by the Australian Army Apprentices Association