Mount Macedon Memorial CrossPrint Page
The 21 metre high Memorial Cross was erected by a private citizen, Mr William Cameron, in the 1930`s to commemorate those who died in World War One and to provide work for the unemployed in the depression.
It is considered Victoria`s most significant war memorial after the Shrine. Today the reserve commemorates all those who served in wars and conflicts
|Address:||Cameron Drive, Mount Macedon, 3441|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.389542|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:|
|Actual Event End Date:|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||1934|
To the glory of God and in memory of Australia`s sons 1914-1918.
"Death cannot rob them of their glory, nor time efface the memory of their gallant deeds"
Plaque 1 :
The Mount Macedon Memorial Cross
The reconstruction of the Mount Macedon Memorial Cross was donated to the people of Victoria by Bruno Grollo and Rino Grollo
Plaque 2 :
The original War Memorial Cross on Mount Macedon, erected in 1934, was a gift to the people of Victoria from Mr WIlliam Cameron, of Cameron Lodge, Mount Macedon, to commemorate the heroic deeds of all Australian veterans of the Great War 1914 - 1918
The elements of nature took their toll on the original cross, which deteriorated to the extent that it became unsafe. It ws demolished and replaced by a matching cross in pre-cast concrete in 1995. This plaque is placed to perpetuate the expression of gratitude of the Victorian people to Mr William Cameron