Soldiers Memorial HallPrint Page
The current Maffra Library building was originally erected as the Soldiers Memorial Hal to commemorate those who served in World War One.
The foundation stone at the entrance commemorating the declaration of peace and a memorial stone honouring those from the district who died in World War One were laid on the 31st August 1922.
The hall was built at a cost of £2000 and the portion dedicated to fallen soldiers was financed by returned soldiers. All district returned men and nurses were made honorary life members.
|Address:||Johnson & Foster Streets, Maffra Library, Maffra, 3860|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.967817|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 21st April, 1923|
This building was erected by the public of Mafra and District to commemorate peace after the Great War.
This stone was laid by Mrs John Mills
To the memory of their comrades who laid down their lives in the Great War.
This stone is dedicated by the Returned Soldiers of Maffra and District.
"Their Name Shall Live For Evermore."
This stone was laid by J. W. MacLachlan, M.L.A.,