Maffra CenotaphPrint Page
Tall square pillar with three plaques.
The first marks the Avenue of Honour on the Sale Road opened by Hon D. Mackinnon 3 October 1918, commemorating the dead of World War One from this district.
The names are recorded at the nearby Memorial Hall. The second tablet has an appropriate verse, while the third refers to the resiting of the memorial to the present site on 13 April 1968, rededicated by Brigadier Sir William Hall, RSL State President. The memorial now honours the dead of the two World Wars.
|Address:||Johnson Street, Opposite Memorial Hall, Maffra, 3860|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.967908|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Thursday 3rd October, 1918|
Plaque 1 :
Avenue of Honor
Opened by the Hon. D. Mackinnon 3rd October 1918. Dedicated to the soldiers of Maffra and District who laid down their lives in the Great War 1914 - 18 and whose names are recorded on the Honor Roll of the Memorial Hall.
Plaque 2 :
All ye, who walk the avenue of life, remember them who bowed beneath the strife. Each leaf, a laurel crowns with deathless fame, and every tree reveals a hero`s name
Plaque 3 :
This cenotaph was moved to this site from Sale Road, Maffra and now honours the fallen of the wars 1914 - 1918 1939-1945
It was re-dedicated by Brigadier Sir William Hall CBE., DSO., ED. State President Returned Service League on 13th April, 1968.
"Lest We Forget"
The Maffra and District war fallen 1939 - 1945 [ Names ]
We Will Remember Them
In honour of all Australians who served in the following conflicts
Korea Malaya Borneo Vietnam Kuwait and all peacekeeping forces 1950 - 2000
Duty Nobly Done