Geelong Peace Memorial Print Page
The Geelong Peace Memorial was built to commemorate the soldiers who served in World War One, and continues this role with the addition of names of service men and woman who served in every war since the Great War.
The memorial features the names of approximately 3,500 personnel who enlisted from the Geelong region and served in World Wars One and Two. The building also contains a number of honour rolls which commemorate the Korean, Malaya, Borneo, Vietnam and Iraq conflicts, United Nations operations, Medical officers, Nursing services, and Prisoners of War.
The foyer was officially opened on 31st October 1926, by the Governor of Victoria, Lord Somers.
The Geelong War memorial, a foyer erected in Johnstone Park at a cost of £15,000 was opened yesterday by His Excellency, Lord Somers in the presence of about 10,000 people. In Geelong £23000 was raised but £8000 was used to provide homes for the widows of soldiers. There are in all about 10 marble plaques upon which the names of 2,000 Geelong and district soldiers and nurses are inscribed.
The Argus (Melbourne), 1st November 1926.
|Address:||Gheringhap Street, Johnstone Park, Geelong, 3220|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.146754|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Buchan, Laird & Buchan, Percy E. Everett|
|Monument Manufacturer:||W. J. Kelly Ltd.|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 31st October, 1926|
THE GREAT WAR
1914 · 1918
GEELONG AND DISTRICT PEACE MEMORIAL
THIS STONE WAS LAID BY ALD. HOWARD HITCHCOCK C.M.C., O.B.E., J.P. MAYOR OF GEELONG
OCTOBER 30th 1922
LAIRD & BUCHAN
& PERCY E. EVERETT ARCHITECTS