www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Soldiers Memorial HallPrint Page Print this page

Soldiers Memorial Hall : 30-December-2012
Soldiers Memorial Hall : 30-December-2012

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson / Chris McLaughlin

The Donald Memorial Hall was opened in 1936 during the "Back to Donald " celebrations. The hall was opened by Major-General C.H. Brand. The new brick hall replaced the previous hall which had been destroyed by fire in 1930.

The building was erected in memory of the men and women of Donald and District who served in World War One. A plaque was added at a later date to commemorate those who had served in World War Two.

A feature of the annual "Back to Donald" celebrations which will be held in October, will be the opening of the new soldiers' memorial hall.  Since the original soldiers' memorial hall was burnt six years ago the district has been without a huge hall for recreation purposes. The new building has been made possible as the result of a gift of the site and £2,000 in cash by the Donald branch of the Returned Soldiers' League, and the co-operation of the shire council and citizens. The main hall will be about 65 by 50 feet and will have a platform 40 by 20 feet, and incidental dresslng-rooms. A large basement will allotted for the storage of seating when the hall is being used for dancing. Seating for about 600 persons will be provided on the ground floor, and a completely equipped projection-room and accessories will be built for the showing of sound pictures. Adjoining the main hall is a large supper-room, which will seat about 250 persons. A fully equipped kitchen is also beng provided. In designing the main hall provision has been made for a future foyer and balcony to seat about 250 persons. The entrance vestibule is to be flush panelled 7ft 6in. high, and the main hall supper-room, and meeting-rooms will be finished with a dado of blue bricks. The total cost of the new building and furnishings will be about £7,500. The architect is Mr R. Le-Poer Terry, of Little Collins street, and Messrs J. Aird and Co are the builders.
Argus (Melbourne),  10 July 1936.

Location

Address:Houston & McCulloch Streets, Donald, 3480
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.369087
Long: 142.984545
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Multiple
Monument Designer:Mr R. Le-Poer Terry (Melbourne)
Monument Manufacturer:Messrs. J Aird & Co (Brighton Beach )

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 12th October, 1936
Front Inscription

       SOLDIERS
MEMORIAL HALL

Plaque :

This Building Was Erected
     In October 1936
In Memory Of The Men And Women
Of Donald And District
Who Served During The War
     Of 1914 - 1918

Plaque :

In Memory Of
The Men And Women Of Donald
And District
Who Served
In World War
1939 - 1945

Source: MA,RSLV,SKP,VWHI
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design