Beeac War MemorialPrint Page Print this page

Beeac War Memorial
Beeac War Memorial

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson / Sandra Brown

A monument commemorates those who served in World Wars One and Two.

The memorial was originally erected by the Beeac Soldiers’ Memorial Committee and unveiled at a ceremony held on 3 February 1923. The ceremony opened with the Beeac Brass Band playing the hymn “Lest We Forget”.  The crowd was addressed by Sergeant A McDonald (AIF) and Mr John Clayton.  It was unveiled by Brigadier-General H. E. Elliott. This was followed by an address given by Mr W.G. Gibson M.H.R. and the closing speech by Mr Jas McDonald M.L.A.  The band played the National Anthem.

The total cost of the monument was £335.0.0 including an extra £35.0.0 for additional steps placed around the base. Correspondence from Mr Hemmerde, the committee secretary shows there was concern with the original design as the soldier did not have his gun reversed. This is traditionally the sign of death. The stone mason advised the committee of this oversight in a letter requesting the names of the men and a deposit before work could commence.

Members of the Beeac RSL arranged an update of the War Memorial with the installation of a granite plaque bearing the names of those who died in service or were killed in action during World War Two. 

In October 2007 the Federal Government granted $1700 for some restoration work to maintain the clarity of the names on the memorial. Local veterans Ian Connell, Matt Sheedy, Cliff Salmon and Bill Cole joined Colac-Otway Mayor Warren Riches and Federal Member for Corangamite Stewart McArthur at the unveiling of the restoration work.

Monument characteristics :

A granite column with a marble statue of a soldier.


Address:Main (Colac - Ballarat Road) & Lang Streets, Beeac, 3251
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.193981
Long: 143.6403
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Monument Manufacturer:J Swains & Sons Memorial Sculptors and Letter Cutters (Melbourne, VIC)


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 3rd February, 1923
Front Inscription

Beeac and District
pays tribute
to the men
who enlisted
in the Great War
1914 - 1918.

Paid the Supreme

Died on Service
1939 - 45

Left Side Inscription


Right Side Inscription


Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design