H.M.A.S. Hawkesbury Memorial PlaquePrint Page
HMAS Hawkesbury was ordered as part of Australia`s shipbuilding program during the Second World War. Twelve of these Australian built frigates were to enter service with the Royal Australian Navy. A further ten were ordered but cancelled as the war drew to a close.
On 12 November 1945 Hawkesbury sailed from Morotai and after visiting Amboina proceeded for Sydney, bringing to a close her wartime career. At the end of November she entered Port Phillip Bay and commenced a refit at Williamstown. In the seventeen months that had elapsed since her commissioning, Hawkesbury steamed 81,056 miles and spent almost 6,000 hours underway. In April 1946 Hawkesbury, after a four month refit, took up duty as a unit of the Australian Squadron on the east coast. After thirteen months in New South Wales and Queensland waters, including five months in Sydney Harbour, she paid off into Reserve on 31 May 1947. Five years in Reserve ended on 14 May 1952 when Hawkesbury recommissioned under the command of LCDR John P. Stevenson RAN. Hawkesbury`s second tour of duty on the northern patrol ended in December 1954 when she returned to Sydney for a refit and to prepare for paying off. Hawkesbury paid off on 14 February 1955 after she had steamed 52,000 miles during her second commission.
|Address:||Brick Wharf Road, Woy Woy Memorial Park, Woy Woy, 2256|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.484003|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Tuesday 5th July, 1994|
Presented to Gosford City Council and the people of the Hawkesbury River Area by the ship's company of H.M.A.S. HAWKESBURY (K363) On the 50th anniversary of the commissioning of the frigate as a token of regard and in appreciation of the war time and on-going relationship with the Royal Australian Navy
Presented by COMMANDER H.J. WESTON, DSC, RD, (Retd) Legion of Merit (USA) (To Hawkesbury for meritorious service with the US Seventh Fleet) Commanding Officer H.M.A.S. Hawkesbury 1944-45 to COUNCILLOR D.B.O'CONNOR Mayor On behalf of the City of Gosford