Windsor War Memorial GatesPrint Page
The Memorial Gates commemorate those from the district who served in conflicts in which Australia has been involved. The gates were originally erected in memory of those who served in World War One. The foundation stone for the gates was laid on the 1st December 1923 and the gates were unveiled on the 24th May 1925. In 1993 a plaque was placed on the gates to commemorate the 75th anniversary of Remembrance Day.
After much delay, caused by difficulties inseperable to any big undertaking, the memorial to the soldiers who fought in the Great War, and to those who gave their lives, is now well in hand. The contract has been let to Mr. Andrews, and the War Memorial Committee, who worked in concert with the Municipal Council, had the satisfaction of seeing the foundation-stone laid on Saturday afternoon last. The ceremony was performed by Hon. R. B. Orchard, C.B.E., who, while Federal member for Nepean (which at that time embraced the Hawkesbury) did grand work for the soldiers, and for recruiting while he was a member of the Federal Cabinet. The memorial will take the form of arch gates at the main entrance to McQuade Park. The aldermen have interested themselves in the project, and the Council's handsome contribution consisted of putting in the foundation to carry the structure. The foundation stone bears the following inscription:— "This stone was laid by Hon. R. B. Orchard, C.B.E. December 1st, 1923." The street and corner of the park were gaily decorated, and the whole proceedings went with a swing that comes with well-ordered arrangements.
Excerpt from Windsor and Richmond Gazette (NSW),
7 December 1923.
The war memorial at Windsor has now been completed. It takes the form of Memory Park Gates, which are erected at the entrant to McQuade Park. The pillars on each side consist of dark face brick, and large trachyte tablets have been inlaid, with the names of the local men who went to the front. A large arch of steel, stretches over the top with the letters "The Great War" let in. The memorial is to be unveiled on Empire Day and the Governor is to be asked to perform the ceremony.
Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 16 May 1925.
|Address:||George & Tebbutt Streets, Memorial Park, Windsor, 2756|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.61|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Mr George Andrews (Lidcombe)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 1st December, 1923|